<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://makethebestofeverything.com

Sorry for the inconvenience…

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Make the best of everything!: Chunky Chocolate Yellow Squash Muffins

Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Chunky Chocolate Yellow Squash Muffins


My husband, son and I are taking a mini road trip to Omaha this week.  While my husband attends a conference for work, I am going to take my little boy to the zoo.

When I travel, I like to bring a little something to snack on in the car and to eat for breakfast in case the hotel doesn't have anything.  This way you always have something to eat, and you will be less likely to stop for fast food.  I really dislike getting drive thru food.

The only drive thru's I like to go through are for overpriced lattes.



I often associate yellow squash with zucchini.  Actually often, I catch myself calling it " Yellow Zucchini."  This is incorrect.

I kind of played off " zucchini bread" when making up this recipe this afternoon.
Except I never shred zucchini in zucchini bread, I always cut it into cubes.  I like to know its there.
Plus I didn't add cinnamon or any other ' spices" you would find in zucchini bread.

For all of these reasons above, it would be inappropriate for me to call this " Yellow Zucchini Bread".



I added slices of the yellow squash onto the top of the muffin before baking it.  If you are having a party, it would be nice to show your guests what is actually inside the muffin.  especially because this is not your typical.


Instead of using 1 cup of oil.  I used 1/2 cup of oil and 1/2 cup of applesauce.  Its best to make recipes healthier if possible.



This afternoon I made up this recipe.

Chunky Chocolate and Yellow Squash Muffins. 

Makes 18 regular sized muffins.

Ingredients

2 medium sized yellow squash
2 eggs
1/2 cup of canola oil
1/2 cup of apple sauce
2 cups flour
1/2 cup of sugar
5 teaspoons of baking powder
1/4 cup of milk
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup of dark chocolate chunks or chips

Preheat oven to 350 F

Procedure

1) Wash 1 1/2 squash and cut them into tiny chunks so that each chunk is about as big as your average chocolate chip.

2) Mix all the wet ingredients together in a bowl.

3) In a separate bowl, mix all the dry ingredients together.

4) Make a well in the center of your dry ingredients,  slowly stir in wet ingredients.

5) Add chocolate chunks and squash

6) mix thoroughly

7) cut the remainder 1/2 of squash into thin slices to place on top of each muffin before placing in the oven.

8) Bake for 20-25 minutes.



I really enjoyed these.  I enjoy any recipe with any kind of squash, zucchini, yellow zucchini type things:)




3 Comments:

At August 22, 2012 at 11:49 AM , Blogger Laura said...

Have fun! We've been to that zoo before and it is AWESOME!!

 
At August 22, 2012 at 7:01 PM , Blogger Carole said...

Have a great trip. These muffins look awesome. Cheers

Ps
I know you have probably been busy. Just a wee reminder that it would be great if you followed Carole's Chatter back. Cheers

 
At September 2, 2012 at 5:20 PM , Blogger Tasha McRaniels said...

Did you forget to add anything like flour?? I tried your way and it doesn't turn out right and it became so mushy.

 

Post a Comment

Love to hear your comments!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home