<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://makethebestofeverything.com

Sorry for the inconvenience…

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Make the best of everything!: " Little Bee" by Chris Cleave and Nigerian Chin Chin!

Thursday, January 27, 2011

" Little Bee" by Chris Cleave and Nigerian Chin Chin!
















I started a book club with a group of co workers. ( friends really). Our local Library has " Book Discussion kits" you can check out.  They include 10 books and discussion material. I was in charge of picking the first book.  I wanted to pick a book I thought everyone would enjoy. I picked up " Little bee" by Chris Cleave without even knowing what it was about. 












For our first book club meeting I wanted to make a little something for the book club, because I really think we are statring something special.  So, I looked up a recipe for "Nigerian Chin Chin" which is basically a fried Dough.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chin_chin ( There, you can read about Chin Chin on Wikipedia)

Here is How you make Nigerian Chin Chin
Mix together a simple dough.
2 cups of flour, ½ stick of butter, 1 egg, ½ teaspoon baking powder, ½ cup water, ½ cup milk, 4 tablespoons sugar

Knead the dough and cut into small squares


Heat some Canola oil on the stove for frying ( this was a little scary for me. I had never fried anything before)


I added one piece in the oil, just so I would know when the oil would be ready


Place the rest of the dough in the oil and fry. it will be done in 3-5 minutes. ( I took it out when it was brown and floating)


Take them out of the pan, and let them rest on some paper towels. ( I then tossed them with cinnamon and sugar, I didn't think they were sweet enough)

I then placed a sample size in a plastic bag, included a recipe for Nigerian Chin Chin and decorated a bag with a Batman symbol. ( when you read the book, you will see how special Batman is to this story)



( the grease kind of soaked through the recipe...next time, I will be more careful) My book group members liked it and READ the book ( Its a great read)



Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Love to hear your comments!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home