<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://makethebestofeverything.com

Sorry for the inconvenienceā€¦

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Make the best of everything!: Easy Weeknight Salad Bar

Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Easy Weeknight Salad Bar


Last week, while traveling my family and I stopped at two different Whole Foods Stores to get their salad bar!  Whole Foods Salad bar might just be the most beautiful salad bar around.  This left me in a salad bar kind of mood!

Tonight for dinner, I made a salad bar with items I already had around.  It was so easy to make and this salad bar took barely any time!  This was also a great way to use leftover chicken!

This is a fun way to introduce healthy eating to kids.  They will have so much fun putting their own salads together!


Here are just a few items that I had around that also made delicious salad toppings!

To prepare these ingredients:
1) Opened a can of garbanzo beans and drained them
2) Shredded cabbage I had in my fridge
3) Cut Sweet peppers
4) Peeled 2 carrots and cut them
5) Cut Leftover chicken
6) opened a snack sized bag of peanuts
7) defrosted frozen peas for 2 minutes
8) Cut an apple
9) opened a bad of shredded cheese

see? Easy!



If you want to make your own salad bar, don't go to the store!  I bet you have plenty of items that you can use to make your own salad bar.

Other Salad bar topping ideas:
Frozen corn
Frozen peas
Raisins
Almonds
Kidney Beans
Black Beans
Fruit you have around
Deli Meats
Tuna
Cheese
Leftover pot roast
pudding snack cups ( for a salad bar dessert)


In addition to salad dressing, I added salsa.  Salsa is a great low calorie way to liven up any salad!


This was a lovely dinner on warm summer evening.  Both my husband and I were able to make a salad according to our own specifications.  My 10 month old son was able to snack on some of the salad bar items as well:)

We will definitely be making this again!




13 Comments:

At August 31, 2012 at 5:50 AM , Blogger Tim, Allyson, and kids said...

Our family loves eating salads! I'm sure our kids would love a salad bar with choices.

We'd love for you to link up at our Finished Friday blog party.

 
At August 31, 2012 at 7:12 AM , Blogger Jennifer Watkins-Jones said...

Yum! I love a good salad, as do my children. Looks like a great idea for a night when dad is working out of town! Thanks for sharing!

Jen @ http://oursoutherntable-jen.blogspot.com/

 
At August 31, 2012 at 7:49 AM , Blogger Pammy said...

What a GREAT idea! Thanks for sharing, now following via foodie fridays!

 
At August 31, 2012 at 8:13 AM , Blogger Spatulas On Parade said...

Love the idea of making a salad bar. I normally do it the hard way, make everyones salads per plate. This is one of those 'hit your forehead' V8 moments. Why didn't I think of this! :-)
Dawn from @Spatulas On Parade
Thanks for linking to our Foodie Friends friday party

 
At August 31, 2012 at 10:00 AM , Blogger Miz Helen said...

Hi Kristen,
I just love your Salad Bar idea, lots of wonderful "goodies" for the salad. Hope you have a great holiday weekend and thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday.
Come Back Soon!
Miz Helen

 
At August 31, 2012 at 10:27 AM , Blogger Jennifer Hunter said...

What a fabulous idea...Thanks - I bet my kids will love this too!!

 
At August 31, 2012 at 6:07 PM , Blogger Cynthia L. said...

I love to eat at a Salad Bar at a restaurant, but never thought of making one myself! This is so easy. I love the way you displayed it also.

Thanks so much for linkin gup to Foodie Friends Friday.

Cynthia at http://feedingbig.blogspot.com/

 
At August 31, 2012 at 7:33 PM , Blogger Aimee - ItsOverflowing.com said...

This looks GREAT!!! Thanks for the great idea...I'm definitely going to do this soon! I'm your newest follower! XO, Aimee

 
At September 3, 2012 at 4:44 AM , Blogger Marlys-thisandthat said...

YUM! Great salad bar and display Thanks for sharing on Foodie Friends Friday and hope to see you there this week with your great recipes... Newest follower
http://marlys-thisandthat.blogspot.com

 
At September 4, 2012 at 3:56 PM , OpenID bizzybakesb said...

The idea of a salad bar is a great one. I should do this. It is a lot more fun than just putting out the finished salad. I love the tip on adding salsa. This is being featured this week at the Recipe Box. Come and visit.

 
At September 4, 2012 at 6:08 PM , Blogger Terry said...

Love a good salad!

 
At October 1, 2012 at 8:09 AM , Blogger Annabellouise said...

Makes my mouth water. When my children were little, I used to do 'bits and pieces' and sing the song as well. As my son says, 'it's all in the marketing'.

 
At October 1, 2012 at 8:29 AM , Blogger Jenny Jo said...

I know the kiddo's was lovin that!

 

Post a Comment

Love to hear your comments!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home