<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://makethebestofeverything.com

Sorry for the inconvenience…

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Make the best of everything!: Breakfast Couscous

Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Breakfast Couscous


I have a beautiful 11 month old boy who has a very extensive pallet for his age.  He eats salmon, eggplant, tofu, cottage cheese, zucchini, pumpkin, beets, curried chicken salad, strawberries, kiwi, hummus, re fried beans, homemade macaroni and cheese, quinoa and now couscous.

I know that many of my followers might be here because of my " Low Carb" recipes.  I must tell you

Carbohydrates are NOT evil!  Here in the western world, we just eat the wrong ones!

You know the ones.  Packaged, fried and with artificial cheese powder.

Couscous is lower in calories then rice or quinoa and contains protein and potassium.

I thought I would try to make couscous for breakfast, a meal that my 11 month old and I can both enjoy.


Usually, when cooking couscous, you would mix 1 1/2 cups of liquid per cup of couscous.  I wanted my breakfast couscous to be creamier.  I added 2 cups of liquid.  1 cup of milk and 1 cup of water.


I wanted my breakfast couscous to have autumn flavor!  I added 1 cinnamon sticks, a few drops of vanilla extract, 1 handful of dried cranberries, 1 chopped apple, and 1 teaspoon of brown sugar.  But not enough sugar to over sweeten.  This is breakfast, not dessert!

Autumn Breakfast Couscous

Ingredients 

1 cup of couscous
1 cup of milk
1 cup of water
2 cinnamon sticks
1 apple, chopped in to little pieces
1/3 cup of dried cranberries
2 drops of vanilla extract
1 teaspoon brown sugar.

Mix all the ingredients over medium heat for 15 minutes. Stir at least every minute or so.  Your mixture should be a creamy texture, creamier then your usual couscous.



My favorite part of this Autumn breakfast couscous was the dried cranberries.  My son and I gobbled this breakfast right up.  I ate mine with a spoon and he ate his with his tiny little fingers.  This was  a nice fall breakfast that we could both agree on.

Oatmeal is not the only breakfast choice, you can try this couscous breakfast or even try quinoa or barley.

I have several " projects" in the works right now that I can't wait to show you!!




1 Comments:

At October 7, 2012 at 1:37 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Looks delicious. I often do things like this with leftover grains. Thanks so much for sharing!

 

Post a Comment

Love to hear your comments!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home